Saturday, January 19, 2008

Piggy & Ralph following Simon's death



After Simon is murdered, Piggy and Ralph are very upset by everything that led up to his sacrificial death. Since Ralph felt the weight of being a leader since the beginning and because he felt responsible for the rest of the boys, he felt that the boys are to be blamed. Ralph talks about how the whole thing was a murder and tells piggy, "That was Simon . . . That was murder," whereas Piggy, the wiser one asserts it as an accident and nothing more. He places blame on Simon instead of everyone else. Eventually the two somewhat go into denial, pretending that it never happened, even though they were all there at the time of the killing. They are obviously disturbed by Simon's death, but are unwilling to discuss it at length.


If I were in such situation, I would act more like Piggy and less like Ralph. In everyday life, when some one passes away there isn’t much that can be done (you can not change the past) so instead one should pray for the one. Piggy, who blames on everyone, does so in an attempt to save civilization which would be the number one priority at this point. I would talk to Jack’s tribe and try to work things out peacefully. Usually when some one dies, a proper burial and a ceremony are put to pay respect. This did not happen (probably because the boys have turned savage at this point). If everyone took Simon’s words about the dead man on the hill into consideration because figuring out that the beast was truly a dead man might have led to different results.
-Amira M.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you said reminds me of the Lion King, you know "it's in the past it doesn't matter" after he hits him on the head. That was kind of random I guess :p.

I don't know how I would react in this situation. I would feel really guilty especially since they knew it was Simon before they killed him and nobody even tried to stop the others. I think they can make as many excuses as they want or try to deny it but until they realize that they played a part in his death and can admit it to themselves they aren't going to be able to move on from it. I think sometimes it's better to admit something and feel guilty for a while then try to hide something and feel guilty forever.

Anonymous said...

Definetly, You know what I would have done...I would have taken the dead body of Simon and put it infront of Jack's tribe and ask him "Is this the consequence of telling the truth to the world huh?" And then I would wrestle with Jack and kill him and take chrge of the tribe and if they won't listen to me then I would burn them with the fire from the Piggy's glasses and ask them if they want o get burned or they want to join me. And if they try to kill me then I will sneak up on two at a time at night and stab them and be the only person on island to be rescued. "Ha!ha! losers!" i would yell.

Anonymous said...

I can actually see you all by yourself on an island saying "haha losers"

Anonymous said...

I don't think Jasveen would actually say it..right now she's sitting down on a chair, doing her awesome english assignment and not in an island with a bunch of lagoons!( haha i have a problem these days, i just seem to use "lagoon" everywhere)..hehe

Anonymous said...

jaja yes!