Monday, December 10, 2007

Connections to the Real World

How can a book about young boys stuck on an island have anything to do with modern society?

Well, the struggle for power between the boys when they are trying to decide who is going to be their leader is something we can see in modern politics. Both Ralph and Jack would like to be the "chief" so they decide to take a vote. When Ralph wins he soon discovers that running the island is not as easy as he thought, and some of the plans he has aren't working as well. I think that when most people in our society decide to run for election, they have good intentions in mind but once they actually get elected they find its difficult to achieve all the things they wanted to.

The most obvious way the novel relates to the world outside the novel is in the fact that the reason the boys ended up on the island is because there was an atomic explosion and when they were being evacuated their plane was attacked. And of course we know that there actually was an atomic explosion once.

The way the other boys treat Piggy is something that unfortunately a lot of kids can relate to, whether or not they're stuck on an island. He is excluded and treated differently because of his weight and his asthma, yet he is the nicest of them all as well as the smartest. He doesn't deserve to be treated this way, but he is for the sole reason that he's a bit different than the rest of them. I've noticed that they don't want him around, unless they decide they need him for something, which so far seems to be his common sense. I think a lot of students can relate to this, people who want you to help them with homework, or be in your group for a project but they never talk to you other than that. They only want Piggy around when they feel they can gain something from it.

In the first little while on the island, Ralph feels they should just have fun until they are rescued. He thinks all they need to do is light the fire at the top of the mountain and wait for a ship to see the smoke and come and get them. He soon realizes that this is not going to be enough to survive. Piggy is helpful in pointing out that they are going to need shelters and that they have no idea how long it will take to be rescued, this is something that I have definately experienced. Not not knowing how long it will be until I get rescued of course, but expecting something to be fun and realizing it's actually going to be a lot of work and not much fun at all. It reminds me of a saying my Dad always says "The fantasy is better than the reality". Ralph expected his fire to be lit and attract a ship, instead they burned down a huge part of the forest and ended up losing one of the boys and there's still no ship to be seen.

Finally, by chapter 3, Ralph has noticed that when they have their meetings, everybody is willing to take on a job and says they're going to help with building huts and keeping the fire going or whatever and then as soon as the meeting is done they go off and do whatever they want. I can totally understand how frustrating this must be for Ralph, I know people who are like this, no commitment! You're depending on them to do something but they keep flaking out, and they just keep promising they're going to do it next time, but yet somehow it never happens.

So that's it for the connections, I'm sure there are others, but none that I can find relate particularily to my life. Oh, well, Piggy wears glasses and so do I, does that count?

-Christina

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about this… but this book definitely relates to politics and society! It seems that it would be impossible for civilization to flourish in the island, but it was seen many times and in just a few chapters! The conch, for example can be seem as authority in our daily lives. I love books that relate to everyday life and can’t wait to continue reading on! :)

Amira/Christina/Jasveen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes, this book really relate to the real world out here. You are right about the attack that led all these boys in this island and yes there have also been atomic bombs attacks. The politics in the scene where everyone had to vote is actually related to real world politics. And if actually you look into the way the littluns are wanting things like jet, submarines and tv's it is like my brother demanding gifts for his birthday from me;). It is very fantastic that how Golding has related these things back to the real world!!!<3

Anonymous said...

Nice point Jasveen! Also... i forgot to mention what could replace a conch in our everyday lives. You don't usually see people walking around with conches but there are other objects such as crowns or a sceptres that show who has the power today!:)

what do you think christeena?

Anonymous said...

I love conches so much that I thought it would be a good idea to add a picture of one:]...

Anonymous said...

I feel left out of this conversation because I was obviously at the band concert when you had it...(because I'm that cool)

But anyways, I love the shell Amira! Good idea. I love how you're spelling my name.

Jasveen, the comment about your brother made me laugh :)

What could replace a conch in our everyday lives...that's a good question. It could be like a microphone maybe? Not as far as power, but as far as being able to be the one to talk. That's all I can really think of right now. I'll let you know if I think of something better.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you feel like you have been left out of this conversation and i agree with the microphone!

I just thought of another thing... What if the conch can be related to the rules in the class? The teacher has authority to speak while the students need to put their hands to speak.

I hope this discussion never ends and that more people take place in it!...

Amira/Christina/Jasveen said...

sorry Amira, I guess it ended :P Unless you feel like starting it again.